Thursday, 24 July 2008
Isabella doesn't mind the sight of prawn heads in a dish and it would be a shame, in my opinion, to discard the prawn heads as they add an additional dimension to a dish.
Since I didn't cook her an aubergine dish this was what I substituted.
1. Half a kilo of runner beans, sliced according to your choice
2. One carrot, sliced according to your choice
3. Ten large fresh prawns, shelled, de-veined but keep the tails and heads intact
4. Half an onion, sliced
5. Four whole garlic cloves (or less, depending on preference), skinned and lightly bruised
6. One stalk of celery, sliced
7. Dash of sesame oil
8. Pinch of salt
9. 1/2 cup of chicken/vegetable stock with a teaspoon of potato/corn flour added, mix well
10. Five tablespoons of vegetable oil or oil or your choice
1. In a wok, very high heat, add oil, and when oil is smoking, add prawns. After a few seconds flip the prawns over and leave to cook for a few more seconds. Dish up and set aside.
2. In the same wok, (you may need to add more oil, depending on the amount of vegetables), reheat work to smoking, add garlic, stir quickly, add onions, stir for few seconds, and add carrots. Fry for less than a minute, add runner beans, dash of white pepper and pinch of salt.
3. Add chicken stock a bit at a time and stir fry on very high heat. When vegetables are just about done according to your taste, add juice from the prawns and prawns. Fry for less than half a minute, dish up and serve hot.
Do not overcook the prawns. Fresh prawns are very expensive in Spain and it would be a shame to over cook them.