Wednesday, 17 September 2008
A package of Kung Fu instant noodles costs around S$2/- and in my opinion, it is very expensive.
It's more economical to buy a pack of plain noodles or vermicelli and use instant chicken/vegetable stock instead.
There are myriad of quick ways of cooking an easy stock to satisfy your yearning for some noodle soup.
1. In a small pot, when pot is hot, add in a tablespoon of onion oil or oil of your choice.
2. Fry two slices of ginger and two cloves of whole garlic till slightly golden.
3. Add four cups of water and bring it to a boil.
4. Add a stalk of spring onion/coriander, three spoonfuls of chicken/vegetable stock and leave it to simmer gently for about twenty minutes.
5. Add salt or more chicken/vegetable stock if necessary.
6. Bring stock to a boil before serving.
Same as above but skip step 2.
Eat it with ingredients of your choice such as prawns, fish balls, crab stick, beef slices, chicken, silken tofu, and slices of fish cake, bean sprouts and the noodles. If you like spicy food an option is to sprinkle some dried chilli powder or chilli flakes.
Optional to add tom yum or other bottled chilli sauces into the stock. Delicious with a squeeze of lime if stock is spicy.
Excellent way in using left over vegetables or meat.