Friday, 23 May 2008
1. Two Spanish onions or any red skinned onions
2. One cup of vegetable oil
3. Small pot, just sufficient to cook onions
1. Finely slice onions.
2. Heat pot, when pot is hot, add oil.
3. When oil is smoking, add onions slices and stir around gently on high heat.
Add more oil if necessary, it will not be wasted.
4. Onions are done when they turn golden brown, remove from stove and place on rack as it will still continue to brown if left on the same ring.
Do not burn onions as it will taste bitter.
5. When it has completely cooled down, pour in a jar. Store at room temperature as it keeps very well
Occasionally I will add roughly chopped garlic into the caramelized onions at the very last stage when the onions are slightly golden.
I absolutely love it. Use loads when cooking vegetables, marinade/grilling/pan-frying meat, fish, in soup, salads or simply let your imagination run riot.
Top up oil in bottle when it's running low. The caramelized onions will still continue to 'perfume' the oil.