Saturday, 26 July 2008
Chicken and Lentil Cacciatore
This recipe is from Women's Weekly, Healthy Heart Cookbook
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Per serving: 17.3g fat; 1858KJ
Store: Recipe can be made a day a head and refrigerated, covered or frozen
1. Cooking-oil spray
2. 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets (880g), halved
3. 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
4. 300g button mushrooms, halved
5. 1 clove garlic, crushed
6. 2 x 440g cans no-added salt tomatoes
7. 1 tablespoon no added salt tomato paste
8. 1 cup chicken stock (250 ml)
9. 1/3 cup red lentils (65g)
10. ½ cup seeded black olives (60g)
11. 1 tablespoon drained capers
12. 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
13. 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Lightly spray large non-stick saucepan with cooking oil spray. Cook chicken until browned all over, turning occasionally. Remove from pan.
2. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic to pan; cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add unstrained crushed tomatoes, paste, stock and lentils.
3. Return chicken to pan simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir in olives, capers, oregano and parsley.
Note: Additional herbs and carrots in photos are my own additions to the recipe.
For correct reading of Per serving: 17.3g fat; 1858KJ, please adhere strictly to the recipe given.