Wednesday, 2 July 2008
1. Half a can or bottle of chick peas/garbanzo beans, drain but save about four tablespoons of water from can/bottle
2. Juice of a quarter lemon or more depending on taste
3. One or two cloves of garlic depending on taste
4. Sprinkling of hot paprika/cayenne pepper
5. Few stalks of parsley, plucked into tiny pieces or chopped finely
6. 3 tablespoons EVO
7. Pinch of sea salt
8. One tablespoon of Tahini (optional)
1. Set aside about a tablespoon of chick peas for garnishing. Place balance chick peas, juice of lemon, water of can/bottle, garlic, sea salt, tahini and blend till smooth on low to medium speed.
Add some oil or more juice from chick peas to help the blade along if necessary.
2. Spoon on serving bowl and use a fork to 'rake' the chick peas.
3. Pour EVO over chick peas.
4. Top with balance whole chick peas.
5. Sprinkle hot paprika/cayenne pepper and parsley
6. Serve at room temperature
Note: Delicious on it's own with warm tortillas/pita bread, served with crudités or as a dip for grilled meat.
Hummus can be refrigerated for about two days or freeze for half a month.
If hummus has dried up, simply add additional EVO and stir.
I have made some without tahini and it's delicious too.